WordPress crew just released the 2.8.1 Beta 1 version tonight fixing some critical bugs that affected some people who upgraded to 2.8. Among the biggest problem with WordPress 2.8 upgrade was the upgrade process deleted some WordPress core files.
Among the fixes included in the WordPress 2.8.1 are:
- Certain themes were calling get_categories() in such a way that it would fail in 2.8. 2.8.1 works around this so these themes won’t have to change.
- Dashboard memory usage is reduced. Some people were running out of memory when loading the dashboard, resulting in an incomplete page.
- The automatic upgrade no longer accidentally deletes files when cleaning up from a failed upgrade.
- A problem where the rich text editor wasn’t being loaded due to compression issues has been worked around.
- Extra security has been put in place to better protect you from plugins that do not do explicit permission checks.
To download the lastest WordPress version, go to the Nightly Files